Sushi is a wonderful snack that can we made in advance, can be low in calories, contain meat, fish or vegetables.
Here's what you'll need to make this very basic recipe - you may adapt to suit your palette or what is in your fridge.
When you prepare your vegetables is to cut them into thin even strips. You must make them small enough that you can have some of each in the centre of each roll.
- 1 Bamboo Mat for rolling
- 300g of uncooked sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon chilli oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 4 sheets of Nori
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- optional - tamari or soy sauce
- Wasabi and some for dipping
- Soya Sauce for dipping
Cooking the Rice
Place the rice in a strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water is fairly clear, about 5 minutes. Shake the water out and allow the rice to dry in the strainer for 15 minutes.
2) Put the rice in a pot with exactly 750ml of water or stock and cook covered over high heat until it starts to foam, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook until tender, about 13-15 minutes.
3) Turn off the heat and sprinkle with 50ml rice vinegar and sugar. Replace the lid and allow the rice to steam for 15 minutes. Place in a bowl and cool to room temperature.
To prepare the Sushi:
1) Place a bamboo sushi mat on a table with the bamboo reeds horizontal to you. Sprinkle lightly with water. Place 1 nori sheet on top, smooth and shiny side down, and moisten lightly with mirin.
2) With damp hands, press rice flat on top of the nori, leaving 4cm edges on the top and bottom, but pressing all the way to the sides. Make sure the rice is pressed even and smooth.
3) Spread 1/4 tsp of wasabi paste in a horizontal stripe near the lower edge of the rice. Over the wasabi, lightly sprinkle the red onions in a horizontal stripe. Place strips of carrots in a horizontal stripe, on top of the wasabi and onions.
4) Follow by piling the peppers, spring, avocado and cucumbers on top, making a tight, straight bundle of vegetables.
5) To roll the sushi, pick up the near edge of the bamboo roller and hold it with the nori, then pull them up and over the vegetable bundle until the nori reaches the rice on the other side.
6) Press the roller to make a round bundle, then roll the bundle to the far edge of the nori and press again to make a round bundle (the nori should totally enclose the rice and vegetables in a round tube, but the ends will have rice and vegetables sticking out).
7) Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Keep the rolls under a damp towel and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, slice off the ends with a very sharp knife and slice each roll into 8 equal pieces.
8) Serve with wasabi and soya sauce, you may drizzle with chilli oil.