Vegan Chocolate Easter Cake
For the cake
- 150g dairy free spread
- 300ml oat or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 300g self raising flour
- 200g organic cane sugar
- 4 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
For the icing
- 200g dark chocolate buttons
- 200g dairy free spread
- 400g icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon oat or almond milk
For the topping
- Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Grease the base and sides of 2 x 20cm or 8 inch sandwich tins with dairy-free spread, then line the bases with baking parchment.
- Put the dairy-free milk in a jug and add the vinegar – it will split/curdle.
- Put all of the other cake ingredients into a large bowl, pour over the milk mixture and beat well until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out cleanly.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 mins then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Put the chocolate buttons into a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Leave the melted chocolate to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the dairy-free spread and icing sugar together with a wooden spoon then sift in the cocoa powder with a pinch of salt.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and dairy-free milk and keep mixing until smooth.
- Sandwich the two cooled sponges together with half of the buttercream then pile the rest on top and down the sides.
- Decorate with the vegan mini eggs