Almond and Strawberry Roulade
- 100g organic sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- 4 free-range eggs or egg replacer
- 240g/9oz lemon curd
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream or vegan whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried strawberry nibs
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- Fresh fruit to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line and butter a 34cmx27cm/13½inx10¾in baking tray with a small lip. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and caster sugar for 8–10 minutes until light and creamy. The mixture should leave a ribbon trail when you lift the whisk out .Pour in the sieved flour and delicately fold it in with a spatula. When the flour is fully incorporated, gently pour the mix into a lined baking. Using a palette knife, spread the sponge mix evenly over the buttered paper. Alternatively you can tip the tray from side to side until the mixture has spread into each of the corners of the tin.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the sponge is golden and when pressed gently it is springy to the touch. Meanwhile, place a large sheet of baking parchment, slightly bigger than the baking tray, on a work surface and sprinkle with the caster sugar.
Take the sponge out of the oven and quickly flip it onto the sugared paper. Carefully peel off the layer of baking paper attached to the sponge and allow the sponge to cool for a moment. Then while still warm, roll it up tightly from a short end with the sugared paper still inside. This will prevent the sponge from sticking to itself. Set the roll aside to cool.
- Whip the double cream gently fold in the strawberry nibs and flaked almonds, set aside. Once the sponge has cooled, unroll it gently. Leaving a margin clear across the top of the roll, spread a thin layer of lemon curd and then a layer of whipped cream. Gently roll it up again, carefully peeling away the paper underneath as you go. You can serve it straight away or leave it in the fridge to chill.